Wednesday, July 16, 2008


I'm home!!!  It was such an incredible opportunity to drop my responsibilities for a whole month and go kayaking and camping in southeast Alaska with the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS).  I had never been kayaking, or even slept in a tent, so I had a pretty steep learning curve!  I was surprised at how quickly I learned and how much I enjoyed myself, despite long days, cold weather, and nonstop rain (sounds kind of like eventing in New England sometimes).  However, no matter how much fun I had it still didn't hide the fact that I was away from the farm and my boy, so it was a great relief to come home this past Monday.

Dually spent the month at GMHA with Suzi and, despite causing a minor rodeo on a hack one day, was apparently a star.  Suzi as usual totally outdid herself on his upkeep and he returned to the farm the day before I came home looking sleek, muscular, and every inch the part of a true competition horse.  Suzi also worked her magic on Dually, making him feel like a whole new animal: soft yet present in the bridle and quietly responsive to commands, unlike the sucking back, fussing, occasionally explosive reactions that are his signature.  Now if only his rider could get back on track!  He has, fortunately, been very kind to me this past few days as I try to reconvert my sea legs into riding legs (harder than I had imagined - I'm amazed at how rusty I feel!) and hopefully we'll be back in the full swing of things by GMHA at the end of the month.  

In very sad news, Daisy, The Huggins' new pony who came to our farm at the beginning of the summer, colicked fatally the morning I returned.  I feel awful for the Huggins family, who were just getting to know and love Daisy, and who had already done such an amazing job bringing her into good health from the condition she had been in when they bought her.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...