Saturday, January 9, 2010

Area I Annual Meeting

Today I went to my very first Area I Annual Meeting, all the way out in Springfield, MA. I was very apprehensive because I was going without my usual safety blanket (Pa, who is universally well-known and well-liked) but was very happily surprised with the good time I had! It was nice to finally meet up face to face with a lot of the young riders I that I compete against often when I'm home in Area I (and who I may, fingers crossed, go to Young Riders with next year), hear what the plan is for fundraising for the coming year, and learn more specifically how I could fit into those ideas.

It was also, as always, really nice to catch up with some of my riding friends who I rarely get to see out of season. Since I don't really live or compete in Area I anymore, it was especially nice to see and make future plans with some old friends, some of whom I haven't seen in a year or more. My only disappointment was missing Andrea from Eventing-A-Gogo, who I was looking forward to introducing myself to; I spotted her at a moment when I was unfortunately tied up with two other conversations, and then never saw her again. Bummer.

The biggest take away from the meeting was how excited I am to be heading back to the saddle soon. I'm so excited for the new season, come good fortune or bad, and can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeesh I shoulda passed on my number to you. I went, found no one I knew, felt like I was crashing someone's family party because everyone seemed to know each other and I knew no one, and bailed. Didn't even stay for the awards or anything.

Katherine Erickson said...

oh man I'm so sorry! That definitely happened to me at the USEA Annual Meeting in 2008. I begged my parents to let me go and they not only agreed but also paid for my airline ticket as a christmas present. I got down to New Orleans and realized I didn't know A SOUL. I enjoyed the seminars and stuff but it was a miserably awkward few days from a social standpoint, especially since I'm the shyest person on the planet and was not about to start handing out business cards and making new friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...