Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Melting in Mass, and a Dually Update!


(Pa and I go for a hack on Kiki and D)

Holy Bejeezus, I just read my last post about how lovely the weather is here and laughed out loud. New England summer has finally hit, and with a vengeance. When I got up at 7 to feed the horses this morning, it was already in the low 80s , still as death, and so humid that I woke up sticky and sweating. We don't have a/c in our house, so these hot humid nights really get unpleasant fast. Ugh. Apparently the heat index is supposed to get into the low 100s today with actual temperatures in the mid 90s, so I think it's going to be a lay-low kind of day, to be sure.

I was reminded a couple days ago that I haven't done a update on Dually yet this summer. One of the best parts of coming home is getting to be reunited with Big D. For folks that don't know, Dually (The Dude) was my first real horse and the one that got me into eventing. He took me from my first Novice to my first Intermediate with a trip to NAYRC along the way, and did it all with his characteristic heart and enthusiasm for his job.


(Dually is a cross country MACHINE)


Last summer, after 7 years of partnership, I made the incredibly tough decision to step Dually down from the intensity of training required for CCI*/Intermediate competition; we began the hunt for a lessor, and at first it seemed like I was going to have to say goodbye to him. Then, my dad (who has ridden through Training Level but had taken a several year hiatus) came forward and said that he wanted to ride him! I couldn't be more thrilled because that meant that Dually didn't even have to leave the farm (even if he wouldn't be in California anymore) and would be with one of the people that I trust and care deeply about.

And man, they are doing AMAZINGLY together! Dually is shiny, in good weight and good fitness. He's happy and he and my dad get along great. They've done two Novice events together, at Hitching Post in VT and Groton House last weekend, and have finished on their dressage score (and ribboned!) each time. As he did with me, Dually's dressage is keeping my dad humble, but they're making great progress there too (the dressage saddle has even been pulled out a few times of late!). The plan is for them to move up to Training together at Stuart in 2 weeks, and then do another Training at Millbrook before the Novice 3 Day at GMHA in mid-August. Since I botched my qualifications for Kiki at Groton House, I'll be there as a groom for the two of them. After years of having Papa groom for me and Dually at 3 days, I can't wait to repay the favor!




(Dually is an easy horse to jump but an incredibly hard horse to jump well; Pa is doing a great job getting the best out of him)

(Getting ready to move up to Training!)

(Pa, D, and the dogs)

2 comments:

Jess said...

I think it's so awesome that your dad rides!!!! What an amazing thing to share :-)

...after 13 years, mine barely recognizes me on a horse. Let alone being able to pick out which one is mine in the field. LOL. Even when I send him pictures he'll ask "Is that our horse?"

You're very lucky :-D

Rachel said...

thats just too cool! what a great daddy you have. and dually is FABULO!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...