Tuesday, September 28, 2010

It's Official


Kiki is broken.

("Heartbreaker Kiki" was out in full force again today)

The ultrasound actually wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was bad enough: though there is no evidence of tearing, both the DDFT (deep digital flexor tendon) and Suspensory are enlarged well beyond normal specs. This is obviously good news compared to a full-on tear (which I have spent all weekend preparing myself for, after her disastrously successful high-suspensory block on Friday), and will mean an easier road both in terms of treatment (no stem cell, etc, as there is no hole to repair) and recovery time. The bad news? The rest period will still be at least 3 months, and more likely will be in the ±6 month range.

(Tranq face, with bummed-looking vets in the background)

I still have no idea how this happened, but must think that it had something to do with her injuring herself in the trailer somehow on the trip. Because, unfortunately, such long trips will be an at least occasional part of my life for the next few years still, I think a large part of the fall and winter (now that I'm horseless) will be spent researching how best I can avoid such an accident in the future. Shipping is going to be part of Kiki's life again... I've just to figure out how I can make it as safe as possible!

(Someone was being VERY disruptive, and so may or may not have required mild sedation - NAUGHTY GIRL!!)

All right; chin up time! Though I certainly have not appreciated my horse luck in 2010 so far, what's done is done. It's time to get both my ponies feeling as good as possible by the time 2011 rolls around!

7 comments:

Kate said...

I am sorry for your news - although it sounds like you have a clear path to recovery, which is good. I've been through this a couple of times, and it's hard to be patient.

Amy said...

Sorry to hear this. Glad though that it is not the worst case senario. It will be a long few months but at least you are headed into winter rather than spring. Good luck.

Jess said...

So sorry to hear about Kiki. Look forward to the brighter days ahead!!

Andrea said...

Wow, so sorry to hear this. This sucks! I know how you feel. I was dealing with a suspensory injury with my gelding last fall (don't ask how it turned out). Keeping my fingers crossed that both horses recover and 2011 is a better year for you.

shannonmolloy said...

Sending healing vibes...and bubble wrap! Hang in there. Bet she will come back 110%!

Andrea said...

Oh poo!! Seconding the bubble wrap - hang in there!!

Kristen Eleni Shellenbarger said...

Oh Kiki..so sorry to hear BUT it's rehab-able (is that a word?) so that is to me, great news. Take the good b/c it could have been worse.
I hope she heals quickly for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...