Monday, April 18, 2011

Ringo's Ultrasound Update

Sorry I've been sooo delayed in staying updated - I've been in a whirl about trying to get organized for returning to the UK this afternoon (and am NOT doing a good job - procrastination is currently at Threat Level Midnight, and I have done zero packing. Whoops.) and have been trying to savor my last few days home on the farm. It's been truly beautiful the last few days, and yesterday I had a fabulous ride on Dually and then went for my first 11-mile run in fine sunny weather in a T-shirt and shorts as the sun set. I couldn't think of a better send off from the homeland. It's hard to believe that it will be nine weeks until I return - that sounds both very long and like no time at all! I've got a lot of fun stuff planned for this quarter, so chances are good that I'll be home before I know it.

One of the last things I did in South Carolina was take Ringo to his second ultrasound recheck since coming back into work at the end of the December. His last check went great, and so I was tentatively hopeful that we would get an equally positive prognosis this time around. I was quietly hoping that he'd get the all-clear to start cantering, but I didn't want to get my hopes too high.

The vet Suzi had used last time had already headed north for the summer, so we took Ringo instead to an Aiken-based vet who was notorious for being EXTREMELY thorough and EXTREMELY conservative in her rehab estimates. I went into it thinking that if we got a positive prognosis from her, we were really doing well.

And, very happily, we did! The vet did notice a few things, but overall indicated that the tendon was healing well and that we should continue on. She even commented that our rehab program was a little too conservative, and that we should ramp it up a bit! She did say that because his trot program had kind of stalled, he wasn't ready to canter yet, which was a hair disappointing but definitely easy to overcome in the face of so much other positive news. I'm thrilled! Suzi is doing such a wonderful job with him and I'm feeling super confident that I'll come back from Oxford with him feeling stronger and better than ever. He gets another recheck in five weeks, and then it's canter time!

All right, I REALLY need to start packing, as I'm also hoping to race over to catch some of my mom's first lesson on Acorn (!!) and Pa's first dressage lesson of the season on Dually over at the indoor down the road later this afternoon. Mom and Acorn have done wonderfully together, and they're both looking stronger and fitter every day. I can't wait to see how much further they'll have progressed by the time I get home.

1 comment:

jenj said...

What great news about Ringo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...