One of the last things I did in South Carolina was take Ringo to his second ultrasound recheck since coming back into work at the end of the December. His last check went great, and so I was tentatively hopeful that we would get an equally positive prognosis this time around. I was quietly hoping that he'd get the all-clear to start cantering, but I didn't want to get my hopes too high.
The vet Suzi had used last time had already headed north for the summer, so we took Ringo instead to an Aiken-based vet who was notorious for being EXTREMELY thorough and EXTREMELY conservative in her rehab estimates. I went into it thinking that if we got a positive prognosis from her, we were really doing well.
And, very happily, we did! The vet did notice a few things, but overall indicated that the tendon was healing well and that we should continue on. She even commented that our rehab program was a little too conservative, and that we should ramp it up a bit! She did say that because his trot program had kind of stalled, he wasn't ready to canter yet, which was a hair disappointing but definitely easy to overcome in the face of so much other positive news. I'm thrilled! Suzi is doing such a wonderful job with him and I'm feeling super confident that I'll come back from Oxford with him feeling stronger and better than ever. He gets another recheck in five weeks, and then it's canter time!
All right, I REALLY need to start packing, as I'm also hoping to race over to catch some of my mom's first lesson on Acorn (!!) and Pa's first dressage lesson of the season on Dually over at the indoor down the road later this afternoon. Mom and Acorn have done wonderfully together, and they're both looking stronger and fitter every day. I can't wait to see how much further they'll have progressed by the time I get home.