Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Give Kisses When You Can

So keep your heart strong,
Love long,
And give kisses when you can--

--Kisses

So I've been feeling in a pretty low mood these past few days: school has been really taking it out of me, my foot is still bothering me (though I had a great swim today! Not all hopes are lost), and I've really been missing riding and feeling mopey about not having competed in so long. I was surprised by how emotionally draining I found Tattersalls; I had a great time, but I really left feeling out of touch with where I want to be competitively. There was a lot of grumbling going on in my head.

But then this afternoon I read about the horrible barn fire that destroyed Boyd Martin's barn and took the lives of six horses stabled there, and I realized how incredibly petty I was being. How can I complain about not being able to compete at Preliminary when I have two amazing, sound, and healthy horses waiting for me at home? Even more than that, when I have an entire farm that I get to call home, where there are a dozen horses and ponies that I love dearly all safe and sound? I miss them so much and really wish I could be there in person to give them a hug on a day like today, but I still feel incredibly lucky that they're in my life at all: talk about blessed.

(Lillian Heard and Ariel, one of the horses that was lost in the fire - I always thought Ariel was a good role model for Kiki and really loved watching her go)

All my grief and sympathy go out to those affected by the fire. My family lost our house to a fire many years ago and it's still sad to think about the losses that resulted, and they were only things; we were so fortunate that everyone made it out safely. I can't even imagine what it must have been like for the people who were there and tried so desperately to get as many horses out as possible. I knew the owner of one of the horses personally, as she groomed for a girl on my young rider team, and she was not only incredibly sweet but also loved Finn without limit. I also knew most of the horses fairly well, at least through the fairly indirect means of watching (and admiring!) them at shows. One of the horses lost was Summer Breeze, the horse that beat Kiki at Milbrook last year.

(Boyd and Summer Breeze, who I spent a long time ogling at Pine Top this spring)

(=( - What a gorgeous mare)

So remember to be strong, love long, and give kisses when you can - you never know when you might have to say goodbye. If you are interested, you can also find ways to help Boyd and the TPF team here.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I couldn't believe it when I heard. That's something I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. Thoughts and condolences go out to Boyd and all those who knew/cared for the horses whose lives were claimed by the fire.

coloradobecs said...

I completely agree! It makes you greatful for what you have when you hear about something as awful as that fire!!
This is the first time I have read your blog and it is awesome!! I will definitly be back :)
-Becs

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...