Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I Heart my (almost) Thoroughbred

I took Kiki for her last conditioning set before our eventing re-debut at Huntington this evening. My previous experience with conditioning has almost entire been through Dually, which meant that for me, conditioning has been quite an effort. Dually was sooo hard to get in shape. Every three day I took him to, I felt like I had to toe the line between trying to do every gallop I possibly could and keeping him sound, and even then I got to the show and he was only just fit enough. Needless to say, his big drafty body was not the easiest to get three day-ready!

Now that I have a 7/8 TB in Kiki, conditioning is suddenly... easy! I mean, we're also going Novice, which makes things considerably breezier, but there's no denying that Kiki is also just naturally way easier to put condition on that Dually was. Today we did a 10 minute trot warmup up and down the hill (in which I successfully stayed in two-point the entire time - getting better!) and then two 4 minute canter/jump sets with a 1 minute rest in between that involved about a half dozen 2'9"-3' fences, some sprints, and some figure eights/flying changes.

She was BRILLIANT, jumping beautifully and sprinting and coming back like a champ. After the first set she wasn't even blowing, and after the second set she was a little warm but after two minutes of trotting out was completely recovered and ready to go again. Good girl!! I <3 my (7/8ths) TB!!

(Kiki looking like a lazy little pony before our gallop this afternoon... oh how looks can be deceiving!)

I'm also in the process of trying to get Kiki registered in the non-breeding Sport Horse Book of the Irish Draught Horse Society of America, which meant that today we took some conformation shots. Kiki was pretty special about standing still with all the evening bugs, but hopefully they'll be good enough!

(She's getting so grey!)

6 comments:

Checkmark115 said...

Ah..I love Kiki! Wherever did you find that beautiful beastie?

Katherine Erickson said...

thanks!! We got her at Acorn Hill Farm in VA as a just-broke four year old. They have five or six stallions and hundreds of young horses; we literally drove around from field to field to look at them! I didn't get to ride Kiki (or any of them), so say she was a gamble was an understatement, but fortunately it's seemed to have worked out fine =)

Veronica Lodge said...

She is gorgeous. There is no denying how much easier it is for Thoroughbrreds to fitten up.> I find they are great at coming back quickley after having some time off.

jenj said...

What a cutie! I looove her beautiful dapples!

ecd03eea-aedd-11e0-bf1c-000f20980440 said...

I can't wait to see Kiki one of these days when I journey back to the Northeast! She looks so darn cute! I have been trying to figure out a way to get Zammy and all the other paint ISH SP ones registered as well- its not as easy as I thought. PS I can 100% relate to getting Dually fit! Haha, but I love the big horses what can I say I got a thing for big feet :)- Mikaela

SallymetHarryHorse said...

what a beautiful girl, i've a young grey who i hope will grey out as beautifully as your girl

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...