Tuesday, October 18, 2011

How to Put a Little Howdy in Your Day

In order to offset costs for the equestrian team, every member is required to do weekly chores around the barn. Usually this means fairly miserable tasks like clipping 25 disgruntled school horses or scrubbing down the outsides of the stall doors with rag and a bucket. It's hardly the worst things things you could have to do in a barn (I've mucked exactly 1 stall in my entire time at the Red Barn, for example, as opposed to the average 16 A DAY I did on my year off), but it's still not very fun.

This year, however, I lucked out in the work department. Besides a few odd jobs and some loads of laundry, I get to ride Chulo, a privately owned horse whose owner doesn't come often and asks the equestrian team to keep the horse in shape for him, a few times a week for work hours. Now, this in itself wouldn't be too remarkable, but...

Chulo is a western horse.

(a very cute western horse, in fact)

Which means that I get to ride western. Yay! I've been itching to learn how to ride western and even considered joining the western team this year, before the reality of the busy shambled clusterf*** that is my life became clear. Now, Chulo is lazy... by Western terms. Which means that, by English terms, he is the laziest horse on the planet. As the lady who helped me get acquainted with him said, "he always walks like he's headed to his own funeral."

After getting used to the fact that WAY TOO SLOW was, in fact, the correct speed, I had a blast! Definitely a good change of pace from my regular riding.

On the 'regular' team front, we're getting pumped for our IDA debut this weekend at Cal Poly. Only one other girl and I have ever ridden a dressage test before in our lives, so it should be interesting to say the least. Bring it on!!

6 comments:

Kelly (ridegroomfeed) said...

He is VERY cute! Ahaha I can only imagine how slow a slow Western walk feels ... but it would be a blast to ride him, sounds like a good arrangement ;)

jenj said...

Ooooh, what a cutie! And yes, especially if you're riding a WP horse, ever gait feels like you're crawling.

SprinklerBandit said...

You get to ride an actual wp horse? Jealous! I just have to convice my silly wb mare that wp is fun and see how it feels. Good luck at the show!

BeBe said...

It's really hard to adjust to the cues when riding a WP horse too....like no leg, "kissing" to go forward...going to be a fun experience!

Kate said...

He's adorable! Funny, he liiks like a pony with some pep... guess you can't judge a book by its cover. Good luck this weekend; sounds like it might be a day to remember ;)

Dressager said...

My grandfather's horse is a western pleasure horse. Every time I ride her I have to fight the urge to get more "oomph" in her gaits! I'll stick to the forward English gaits haha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...