Thursday, January 19, 2012

Calamity Master

So the last few days have been... 'eventful' I guess would be a good term.

First, I got bucked off last week, marking my first fall in 2 years. It was a stupid situation where I knew I probably was going to get thrown, kept going anyway, and paid the price. Oh well! Fortunately I landed very softly and managed to hold onto the reins, which then made so that I got pulled instantly back onto my feet as the horse backed away (which normally I would feel bad about forcing my horse into a 'pull back' situation... but in this case, the f***er deserved it). So, it didn't end up hurting at all, though my always troublesome right shoulder did tweak a little. No big deal, right?

Then, over the long weekend, I decided it would be SUPER COOL KID BEHAVIOR to try to balance on one foot on the foam roller I use for working out the kinks in my back (it's a probably 6" diameter tube of hard slippery white foam, and it's AWESOME). Needless to say, it went well for about 4 seconds... and then the foam slipped on the carpet I was practicing on. And I ate it. Hard. This hurt considerably more than getting bucked off, and my ankle is still sprained/sore feeling. And the only person I can blame is myself. Well played, Erickson. Well. Played.

THEN, yesterday I crashed my bike. For the first time, ever. I learned how to ride a bike at Stanford, and have had an incredible three and a half year hot streak of safe and tumble-free riding. I've also gotten pretty ballsy recently, and notably rode over a half mile (around curves, through bollards, and across the busiest plaza on campus) without hands just this past Sunday. So obviously, I wiped out while making the totally innocuous turn from the feed barn to the parking lot. That's how it works, right? It also happened right in front of my coach, who I'm pretty sure I gave a small heart attack. At least it's better than the time I fell off the golf cart she was driving (how this happens, I cannot tell you) and got a concussion. Like I said earlier: cool kid behavior.

I was pretty sure at first that I'd broken my thumb in this little escapade, as it was totally paralyzed (zero range of motion) and radiating pain. Being who I am, I decided to ride and see if it got better. Shockingly, it did not, so I had to put my big girl panties on and go to my least favorite place: the doctor. Fortunately, a few Advils and X-rays later and all is well: no break, just some crazy swelling and bruising. I've never had a bruise on the palm of my hand before, and find it rather amusing now that I have full use of all my digits again. Here's to hoping it will turn some awesome colors over the next few days!

But basically, I think I've had my fill of personal disaster for a while. Hopefully this means I've gotten my 2012 injury quota out of the way early (and more importantly, covered the injuries for both me and the horses, right???), and now can just enjoy the rest of the year in style. We'll see...

Also, the blog reached 150 followers today! Thank you so much for reading =)

7 comments:

Alessandra said...

So, what to say: CONGRATULATIONS....also for reaching 150 followers!
But....how did you get a concussion falling off a golf cart???!!! No, really Mr. Bean and I wuold be very pleased to meet you.
But the most important thing is that your bones are now all ok!
°_°

jenj said...

You might consider wearing bubble wrap for the rest of the week... ;)

Kate said...

Holy cow, you've had quite the run! At least its almost Friday :)

Suzie said...

Kate Erickson = Hero status.

Kate said...

Stunt woman!

SprinklerBandit said...

What a week. Seriously. Be careful out there. ;-)

BeBe said...

Have a glass of wine or two...and try and keep it safe this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...