Friday, March 2, 2012

The Biggest News of All

So of all of these most recent posts, this is probably the most exciting one, because it marks the beginning of what will be a big (and hopefully permanent!) life change for me after graduation. The day after graduation (literally), I will be packing my bags and moving to beautiful northern Virginia, with the horses following in the next few weeks. Why, you might ask? Well, I've secured an internship at a pretty tatty little horse publication; perhaps you've heard of it...


That's right. The Chronicle of the Horse. I'm so unbelievably excited that I get giddy just thinking about it. I have only secured a summer internship, but I'm really hoping that it will be the first step I need to get into the world of equine publication, which would be my dream career to exceed all others.

I'm going to be an editorial intern, meaning that I will write press releases and articles, take photographs, learn about online media, and generally do all the things the full time staff members do. As I will be working in the summer, the big events I'll (hopefully) get to help cover will be Pony Finals (eek!! The cuteness!!) and Young Riders (also awesome!).

I'm so incredibly thrilled at this opportunity and can't wait to immerse myself in the horse-centric Middleburg lifestyle. The internship is unpaid, so I will definitely be scrapping for as many horse-related side jobs as I can to stay afloat! We (my parents and I) have tentatively decided that Ringo will come down almost immediately, and then depending on whether it looks like I can settle into a more permanent lifestyle then Kiki will follow. That is certainly a big 'if,' but I feel like this is such a massive opportunity that I feel incredibly focused about making the most of it. Fingers crossed!

So in the meantime, I'm suddenly realizing that I'm down to my last few months in California. It's definitely bittersweet, but I'm both thankful for the time I've spent here and eagerly looking forward to the next adventure. And you never know, perhaps someday I'll be back. But until then... Virginia, here I come!!

10 comments:

Jessica said...

CONGRATS!

Jen said...

I'm so happy to read this! As someone who recently did the post-college job hunt thing, getting something lined up early makes all the difference in those already-stressful last few months of college life. That's so exciting, congratulations!

Kelly (ridegroomfeed) said...

Congratulations! That's fabulously exciting :) I'm sure you'll be brilliant - you will blog about it, won't you?

jenj said...

CONGRADS! What a fantastic opportunity! Middleburg is GORGEOUS (I used to live near there) and you will love the horse scene there. So exciting!!!

Niamh said...

This is oh so exciting! Welcome back to the east coast and congrats!

Katherine Erickson said...

Thanks guys! I can't wait!

Alessandra said...

Waw Kate! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It's really a HUGE opportunity to improve your skills...and immediately after the graduation! In your blogs you are a great reporter, I love your pictures and what to say...Have a nice time, learn and let us know!
...you also write about Kiki??...Finger crossed!

Katherine Erickson said...

Thanks, Allessandra! And yes, I'm really hoping to bring Kiki down if at all possible =)

Abby said...

Katherine! I've been wanting to post but been so busy. So finally: congrats on your internship! I have a feeling you're going to like working for the Chron. Feel free to email me (abby[dot]gibbon[at]gmail) if you have any q's--I'm not a staffer anymore but still writing for them quite a bit and have nothing but lovely things to say about the ed team.

Julie said...

Congratulations! How cool to be able to work for CoTH!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...