Friday, April 13, 2012

Bummer Man

It's been raining like crazy for the past week (complete with thunder and lightning storms!! Super rare in California!) and unfortunately that meant that my show this weekend got cancelled. Boo. I'm kind of bummed because I was feeling quietly confident in our chances of getting that much-coveted last score for our bronze medal. We've been so close for what feels like such a long time now, and I know that Ringo's doing even better now than he was in fall when we got our first 3rd level score. Oh well. Such is scheduling with horses!

(Ringo can handle the disappointment if carrot stretches are involved! He's such a show off - I would kill for his flexibility!!)

I'm going to aim for my next show in the first weekend of May, right after IDA Nationals and right before I go home for a week for my high school's five year reunion. We'll just be even more ready then!

In the meantime, I've been living a fast and loose lifestyle, trying like crazy to get as ready for Nationals as I can while still staying on top of my classes and enjoying my last ever (!!!) spring as an undergraduate at Stanford. Needless to say, I haven't been getting a lot of sleep of late! But I can sleep after graduation... right? =)

(early mornings on the road to Gilroy - I've been up at 5 or earlier seven days out of the past thirteen)

I've been so lucky to be able to go down to Dayna and Shannon's on Thursdays and Fridays for the past two weeks to ride some more horses before Nationals. I've gotten to ride six different horses so far that have run the full gamut of small to large, narrow to wide, downhill to uphill, green to broke. It's been really fun to get a feel for so many different ways of going, and it's been a real confidence boost to not be really 'stumped' by one yet. Hopefully this bodes well for a few weeks from now! I really owe Dayna and Shannon a ton for letting me come ride; it's been great extra saddle time and a great change of pace to get acquainted with some new horses. Plus, I've gotten a hell of a sitting trot workout!!

I've got two more weeks and a couple more trips down to Gilroy to cram in some last minute practice. Nationals are sneaking up very fast indeed!! My goals for these last few days:

-sitting trot for at least 15 minutes, every horse I ride, focusing on keeping core STABLE and seat bones anchored-

-practice test at five times on five different horses-

-don't get sick, get enough sleep, stay cool (this may be the hardest goal to achieve!)-

I also want to practice riding Ringo on the wire a few more times... but that's a different story altogether =)

(Happy pony post-wire-ride last Sunday)

1 comment:

The Fullers said...

good luck! looks like you will be super prepared for both!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...