Saturday, May 12, 2012

Change of Pace!

The last week has brought the first really hot weather of the year in Palo Alto, and with it has come a real case of Senioritis. So in that vein, Ringo and I have decided to have a little change of pace: this week, we ditched the dressage saddle and double bridle in favor of jumping tack and a hackamore, and have just been tootling around. It's been so fun! We cantered some poles a few days ago (for which Ringo was wild!! And very excited!!) and have been generally having a lot of fun rolling a lot faster and looser than has been the norm of late.

(Ray looooves his hackamore!)

I think Ringo also definitely enjoying himself; I had been noticing that he was falling just a litttttle bit more behind my leg from week to week with the constant drilling of test movements, and I think he was on the verge of getting a bit sour. For example, he was getting a little hoppy and pissy in the counter canter, which is usually one of his strong suits and something we practice a lot. Today in the jump tack, we made a dozen really beautiful, even, and forward figure 8s of true and counter canter without him falling behind my leg at all. Good man!


(Handsome Bear)

I'm thinking that next week we'll get back more into DQ mode. But in the meantime, the sun is out, the days are long, I've got a great horse... It's truly a wonderful life I lead.

(Another beautiful Red Barn sunset)

2 comments:

Ruffles said...

I'm sure Ringos loving the change of pace :)

Katherine Erickson said...

yeah I think he's having a blast! I have to remember to change things up more often =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...