Monday, May 21, 2012

HUGE NEWS

Ok, so I've just gotten back from a whirlwind trip home and have many, many updates to share, but the biggest news has to come first. Remember about how I mentioned a few weeks (or months) ago about how I had a big announcement brewing but had to wait until everything was completely official? Well, last week the day finally came.

I HAVE A NEW HORSE!!!


Technically, he's more of an old horse that has come back. Black Brook's Kyote ('Ky') was one of the ponies that my parents bred when I was younger. I helped start him myself when he was a wee lad, and he was always my favorite of all the ponies we bred. I was absolutely heartbroken when he was sold, though he went on to be the absolutely perfect horse for his new owner and in retrospect it was definitely the best decision at the time. 

When his owner started vet school a few years ago, Ky came back to the farm to be leased out by a high school kid, which meant that I got to ride him occasionally over the holidays. I never stopped thinking that he was one of the coolest horses I had ever sat on, and would always throw hints that if his high school girl ever lost interest I'd be happy to take him off her hands...

This year his high school lessor is heading off to college, and it came time to decide what to do with him. His owner has now graduated vet school but is deep in the throes of the first years of being a practicing vet and doesn't have time to ride. So, in one of the most unbelievable things that has ever happened to me, Ky has been given to me. He's 14 years old this year; I don't think I've ever waited so long for something so wonderful in my entire life. I'm so, so happy.

Here's Ky on our second "official" ride together this past weekend:



He's a little out of shape at the moment (spring grass will do that to a pony!!) but man, is he fun to ride. The current plan is that he'll stay at the farm until the end of the summer when his current lessor leaves for school, and then he'll come join me. Excited already!!

11 comments:

L.Williams said...

How cute! congrats on getting back your old friend :)

Niamh said...

eeeeeeeeeeeee! What a cute little guy! So excited for you! Please say you're going to pop him around an event?

Katherine Erickson said...

Yes Niamh that is definitely the hope, though as I won't have jumped in a year by the time he comes to me it might be a while before we make it to any real shows!!

Alia said...

That's so great! Congratulations, and wishes for many many happy times together.

Nicole said...

He is cute. How big is he?
I love hearing stories like this.

jenj said...

What a cute little monster! Congrads, and I can't wait to hear more about him!

Katherine Erickson said...

thanks everyone! to say that I'm excited would be a massive understatement - I literally cried with happiness for like the first week after my parents told me. Nicole, I haven't sticked him in a while but I think he's right around 15hh, maybe a hair under. Fortunately he's got a nice big horse-sized stride! =)

Dom said...

Congrats on getting Ky! Sounds like things really came full circle.

Ruffles said...

YAY!! That's awesome. He is so gorgeous and sounds like heaps of fun. Congrats.
Can't wait to hear more about your adventures with him.

Sarah said...

SOOOOO CUTE!!!!
Congratulations!

Jessica said...

Just catching up with your blog- Congrats on the new pony!! He is adorable, and what a cool history you have with him!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...