Monday, December 31, 2012

My Favorite Horse Photos of 2012

Well, we've made it to the end: 2012 was a heck of a year, and now it's all to play for in 2013. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season and are looking forward to the new year as much as I am :)

Like last year, I thought I would share some of my favorite horse photographs that I saw in 2012. I have to preface by thanking The Chronicle of the Horse, EventingNation.com, and the many amazing equine photographers that captured these wonderful images. I'm so grateful for the generosity of these incredible professionals who share their talent with the world.

So, without further ado:

Riding for (God and) Country
(aka: Olympic Fever, baby)

(This has got to be one of my favorite pictures of the whole year: German eventing DOMINATION epitomized! Kat Netzler/Chronicle of the Horse photo)

 (The Olympics were full of inspiring moments - watching Damon Hill NRW was one of them for me; he exuded an electric power that was awesome to watch. I wish I could remember where I found this one :( )

 (Of course, perhaps the biggest coup of all in equestrian sports at the Olympics was the British dressage medal haul, led by unbelievable performances by Charlotte Dujardin and Valegro - if you want to fairy tail dream come true of hard work paying off, look no further than this pair. Photo via Facebook)

 (This was one of the coolest pictures of the Games, and also one of the most poignant: Nina Ligon rode into Olympic history as the first Asian woman to compete in eventing, and the first Thai athlete to complete the event. In doing so, she brought attention to equestrian sport in a part of the world where it is still a minor competitive entity, especially for girls. New York Times photo)

 (The moment that so many young riders dream of: riding onto the world's biggest competitive stage with your country's flag on your saddle pad for the very first time. Tiana is one of the nicest people in eventing, and it was so thrilling to watch her dreams come true this season. Photo via Facebook)



Going Big
(aka: Horses are awesome, their riders are ok too)

(I loved this picture from Rolex 2012 of Jessica Hampf and High Society: not only is it just beautifully composed, it also exudes a great sense of the focus and power of eventing at its finest. Chronicle of the Horse photo)

(Ingrid Klimke is a badass: not satisfied with being an Olympian and successful 4* competitor in eventing, she also competes at Grand Prix level in pure dressage. The horse isn't too shabby, either! This was by the same photographer as the Damon Hill Olympic shot. I'll do some searching and try to find him.)

(Remington jumped so big at Rolex this year that he popper Boyd Martin right out of the frame! Photo via facebook)

The True and Happy Life
(aka: Horses make life complete)

 (This year the eventing world lost an amazing horseman in Amy Tryon. When I look at this photograph of her that surfaced in the memorials, taken at Rolex several years ago, I imagine that she is riding away from us to a better place. We miss you, Amy. Photo via Facebook)

(Jock Paget had a fairytale 2012, but I like this picture of a quiet moment before the Bramham jogs best. It reminds me of why we go through all the trials and tribulations that the competitive lifestyle brings: it's about the horse. And that's it. Samantha Clark/Eventing Nation photo.)

 (Lucy Jackson's Rolex debute didn't go quite to plan, but her first thought was to comfort her horse. Chronicle of the Horse photo)

 (Meanwhile, Karen O'Connor's Rolex went from strength to strength, and was a triumphant comeback for one of our nation's top athletes. Chronicle of the Horse photo)

(Reed Kessler made history by becoming the youngest show jumping competitor in Olympic history this year, and that was but one achievement in an amazing 2012. But I like this picture best. Photo via What Would Reed Kessler Do (a truly hilarious tumblr))

 :)
(Photo from the same amazing German photographer who shot Klimke and Damon Hill. I'll find him!)


 Happy New Year!

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Great post!!

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

love this post but really love the last picture!

Kate said...

loved the post, and would also love to know who took the photos for proper credit :)

Katherine Erickson said...

Ahh I tried - I am embarrassed of what a bad internet citizen I was in terms of not keeping track. I'll do better this coming year!

Me said...

Great choices! The one of Nina is so cool. Love the one of Tiana - hadn't seen that one before. And the last one is such a great one to end with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...