Saturday, April 13, 2013

First Show With Ky!!

Today, after 15 years of knowing each other and 6 months of forming a partnership, Ky and I did something we've never done together before: packed up our bags and headed off to a show. Together with Robin and Kiki, we drove down to the Mystic Valley Hunt Club in Connecticut for their spring 2-Phase schooling show. Ky and I were entered in the Novice division, which for this show was a Novice dressage test and then only a 2'9" show jumping round, which I was hoping would be a perfect start to our competitive season. But I was still definitely a little nervous as we pulled out of the driveway this morning to head down!

But I needn't have worried. Ky was a total professional all day (besides screaming his head off for Kiki as soon as they were separated and continuing to do so on and off for over an hour until they were reunited... bad poneh) and got gold stars at every turn. We arrived later than I was expecting and I ended up having to throw all my tack on and race down to warm up with only 8 minutes or so to spare before my ride time, meaning that we barely got time to trot and didn't even get to canter both directions before we went into the ring (basic amateur-hour mistake - I was mortified!).

So, Ky wasn't quite as steady and forward as I've been able to get him the past few days, but he was still extremely polite and workmanlike. Given that I was almost ready to throw in the towel with the little dude on the flat just a month ago, I was thrilled. We ended up with a 36 which, while not the best score in the world, is a great baseline for the beginning of the season.

(the little dude and I after dressage - he doesn't look too thrilled, but I swear he was having a good time! Meanwhile, I was pretty obviously having a blast)

He was then absolutely, unbelievably perfect for the jumping, despite the fact that I naively thought that the jumping would actually start on time (instead of 35 minutes late) and so didn't get off, meaning that poor Ky had to wander around the warm up for a solid 45 minutes before it was our turn to go in. He jumped fabulously, and while I did make two sort of laughable mistakes, it was the sort of round where I finished feeling very confident in our ability to jump a little higher than that in future. Yay!

Everyone else in our division also jumped clean, meaning that we all ended on our dressage scores and I wound up in 3rd place, winning the wrinkliest yellow ribbon I think I've ever received (it literally looked like it had been stored in the bottom of a laundry hamper for a few months before the show), but I couldn't have cared less because it was Ky and my first ribbon together as a team!! Eeeee!!! It's been a long time coming, and I'm so very, very thankful that we finally made it. We've got some homework to do, but I'm really excited to get working before our next outing at King Oak! Good boy, squirt!

7 comments:

Carly said...

Woo hoo! Go, Ky!

L.Williams said...

Awesome job you two!! :D

Karley said...

Woot!! :)

Carrot Top said...

Well done! He's so cute :)

SheMovedtoTexas said...

Great job! You guys look good together (even if you're both not smiling in this picture).

jenj said...

Congrads!

Niamh said...

Hooray for you and Ky! I was jump judging over the weekend and I nearly burst with happiness seeing the ponies that came through at Training and Prelim! So much cuteness!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...