Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Liebster!

Another quick pause before diving into GMHA recap (I HAVE SO MANY PICTURES, GET PUMPED), to thank Carrot Top from Little Bay Horse for nominating me for a Liebster Blog Award! 



The Liebster Blog Award is a way to recognize blogs who have less than 200 followers. Liebster is a German word that means beloved and valued. Here are the rules for accepting the award:
  1. Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog. 
  2. List 11 random facts about yourself. 
  3. Answer the 11 questions given to you. 
  4. Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate. 
  5. Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or fewer followers to nominate and include links to their blogs. 
  6. Go to each blogger's page and let them know you have nominated them.
Eleven Random Facts About Me

  1. I'm left-handed but my handwriting is so awful that I can write with my right hand and, except for being a lot slower, the difference in quality is minimal. 
  2. I graduated from college in 3 1/2 years and precisely the minimum number of units to graduate; in order to get that minimum, I had to take a 1-unit class called 'Strengthening the Heart Through Compassion" my senior year, which mainly involved me falling asleep on the floor during guided meditation every day. I barely passed. 
  3. Until the age of 12, I wanted to be a hobo when I grew up. 
  4. I've traveled to all 50 states in the US, and visited 42 states in 2012. 
  5. In addition to horses, my family also breeds cairn terrier show dogs, and owns the highest pointed cairn terrier of all time; he also won the world dog show in Paris a few years ago and got to have his picture taken in a beret in front of the Eiffel Tower. 
  6. I was a tri-varsity athlete in high school (XC, Squash, and Track), a fact I now find hilarious as I couldn't break a 10 minute mile if I tried. 
  7. I've recently started playing the banjo. 
  8. I actually enjoy riding in the rain. Like, a lot. 
  9. I had a fish named Fluffy when I was a kid. 
  10. I've been a vegetarian for over 7 years now, and have never eaten a fast food hamburger in my entire life. 
  11. That being said, I worship In n Out's grilled cheese, and it is probably one of the things I miss most about California. 
Eleven Questions for Me
  1. What's the last book you read cover-to-cover? The Blue Fox, by Sjón, which I finished just a few days ago! Sjón is an Icelandic author famous for being Bjork's lyricist - three of his novels just got translated to English this spring and I've now read two. They've both been bizarre, lyrical, and sneakily enchanting. When I was reading The Blue Fox, I didn't feel like I was enjoying it, but it lingered with me long after I'd finished. 
  2.  Have you ever broken a bone, and if so how? Yes, several. I broke my femur when I was 3 years old falling off of a bunk bed, my wrist when I was 12ish getting bucked off a naughty pony, and my neck when I was 18 when my horse fell on top of me. 
  3. If you could choose any super-power, what would it be? Flight, obviously :) 
  4. What would you change about the horse world that doesn't have to do with animal abuse or money? I would eliminate equestrian (or at the very least eventing) from the Olympics, because I think the pressures of conforming to the Olympic format have been the major factor in moving away from the traditional long format test of horsemanship that is the eventing I grew up with, love, and miss. Additionally, I think the pressures put on the horses to try to make an Olympic team are too much, especially when the competition ends up being a lackluster test of actual cross-country skill compared to the sport's annual four star events. 
  5. What are those 'Baby on Board' signs for cars really for? I believe they are meant to indicate that there is a young child in the car and so alert to other drivers that they should drive extra cautiously and safely around them. What I don't really understand about that explanation is the premise that people would normally be driving dangerously around one another and only the presence of a baby would change their behavior… so I guess I'm lost too. 
  6. What are your three favorite words? Many to choose from, but I guess 'vexillophile' (lover of flags), 'quetzalcoatl' (Meso-American bird god), and 'esperluette' (the French word for 'ampersand') rank pretty high up there. I like chewy words with lots of consonants and vowel changes. 
  7. What's the most 'out there' thing you believe? I believe in the ability to have premonitions of the future and in the oracular power of dreams. 
  8. Describe the last time you laughed out loud - some time this morning while Pa and I were feeding (probably at the cat, who is a favorite subject for mockery) 
  9. Mares, geldings, or stallions? My experience with stallions is limited, but of mares and geldings, definitely geldings. I wanted to be the kind of person who loves mares… but I'm not. 
  10. Who would you most like to go on a trail ride with? DUALLY. 
  11. What's the most ridiculous thing you've bought for riding or horses? My shadbelly. It was expensive as hell, and is by far one of the toughest things to explain to non-horsepeople, for sure.
Eleven Questions From Me
  1. If you could travel to any place in world, where would it be and why? 
  2. If you could live in any historical period/location, where would it be and why? 
  3. If you had to change to an entirely new equestrian discipline, what would you go to? 
  4. If you could have a ride on any famous horse in the world competing right now, which would it be? 
  5. Describe your dream barn. 
  6. Favorite non-horsey activity? 
  7. Which is better: the book or the movie adaptation? 
  8. Can you cook? If so, what can you make? 
  9. Favorite color? 
  10. Describe yourself in 10 years. 
  11. How did you first start riding? 
Eleven Nominations for the Liebster Award
  1. Viva Carlos - I can't believe this blog doesn't have 200 followers. Cannot believe.
  2. Poor Woman Showing - I love Carly's horses and how honest she is as a writer and a blogger
  3. Charlie and Me - Charlie. Is. Adorable.
  4. Life of Riley - In addition to having a brand new pony, a brand new husband, and tons of pretty pictures to document both, Niamh is also an artistic badass and made me one of my favorite possessions of all time a few years ago: a multi-layer paper cut of Kiki. And she can do it for you, too!
  5. A Mile High on Horseback - Emily has such a positive and kind attitude towards the world, even when faced with challenges that would make me want to curl up in a ball and give up; she's an inspiration.
  6. The Journey Begins - I love Jennifer's use of pictures and videos to tell her story
  7. Pacific Coast Eventing - This is my friend and old roommate's spin-off blog from her popular On Track for a CCI* that she kept for several years - she's got an adorable (and talented!) young horse now in addition to her awesome old man, Eddie, and it's so fun to watch them progress
  8. Molly Rosin and Havarah Equestrian  - Molly is an ex-Californian professional now based in PA; I love how many pictures and updates she posts of her busy, event-filled life.
  9. Perception Unearthed - This isn't a horse blog, per se, but its writer is an equestrian (we met through the Stanford Equestrian team) and it is simply too amazing to overlook. Rachel is a Rhodes Scholar, all-around genius, and two years ago decided to go through the process of getting a cochlear implant after having profound hearing loss in both ears for her entire life. Her blog is (no surprise) unbelievably well-written, thought-provoking, and inspiring.
  10. Capture the Light  - I actually bet this page has more than 200 followers... but you should check it out anyway because Wendy is one of the most amazing equine photographers in the business. Uhh. Maze. Ing. 
  11. Chasing the Dream - This blog got nominated with me, but it's too good not to mention again!
Phew! Tonight, I promise I'll get around to GMHA, but in the meantime I've got some ponies to ride. 

6 comments:

L.Williams said...

I literally LOL'd at the hobo bit, and really cool about the book, I'll have to pick it up.

I was nominated already but I will answer your questions in my next post :)

Karley said...

Some great new blogs to check out, thanks!

Carly said...

I was going to say how unbelievable it is that you have less than 200 followers, but I suppose 199 is acceptable. Yours is seriously one of my favorite blogs ever.

Jess said...

Ha! I tagged you also, but you don't have to do it again. :)

Niamh said...

I can't believe I was nominated twice this week! Thanks for the shout out! You are too kind.

Equine Snob said...

I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! Thank you for the inspiration you provide! I know you have already been nominated before I got to it, but I just wanted to add my voice (and play along).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...