Monday, August 26, 2013

Five Weeks

Five weeks.

Five weeks from today, I will be getting on a plane to England to begin an entirely new chapter of my life. Two years of an entirely new culture, and two years of leaving behind some of my favorite things: hot summer American road trips with the windows rolled down, greasy spoon diners like Waffle House and the other vagueries of regional American cuisine, the crazy jingoism of American culture that I unabashedly love (and somewhat fear), the farm, my friends, my family... and, of course, horses.

I'm not sure I've ever been more simultaneously bubbling over excitement and wrenched apart with bittersweetness in my entire life.

To commemorate the milestone, I bought my plane ticket today:

(one-way, baby - also not gonna lie, pretty excited to check out Icelandair)

I'm also in the final stages of applying for my visa which, aside from a few classic misadventures in the sort of terrifying beautiful city of Lawrence, Mass that occurred while trying to get my fingerprints and other biometric information recorded, has gone suspiciously smoothly. I'm remaining on tenterhooks until the finished visa is in my hand though, for sure.

As I slowly keep checking off the boxes of things left to do before I leave, one big question remains: What to do with this blog? I waffle a lot between stopping the blog permanently after I leave and then perhaps starting up a new one after graduation to commemorate the next chapter in my riding life, or perhaps just keeping going with the rare horse-related post whenever I get a chance to over the next few years (like I did last time when I went abroad), or transitioning it more fully into an Oxford blog with both academic and horsey experiences covered.

So what do you think, dear readers? Would you enjoy reading about life at Oxford? Would you rather I kept the blog to horse-related things going forward, even if it meant probably very few posts over the next few years? Or would you prefer the blog end now entirely, and perhaps start anew when I return to the States in a few years? 

I'd love to keep writing, but I don't want to bore you with the (probably going to be tragically dull) life of a Masters Student with only a minimum of horse-related payoff if you don't want that. So let me know!

In the meantime, I'm off to try to find a means with which I can simultaneously freeze time to enjoy these last few weeks of summer AND jump time forward so I can start grad school tomorrow. Because I'd really like to do both. 

(My first day in Oxford for my junior year study abroad in 2011 - back in my 'cock one leg for all pictures so it looks like you might either really have to go to the bathroom or may have just broken your leg' days... good memories.)

21 comments:

Hannah said...

I would love to hear about your new adventure.

L.Williams said...

Party on dude. Seriously, continue the adventures, I'm sure you will find someway somehow to get on a horse in England.

Annye said...

I would love to hear about your adventures, too!

Kate said...

1. I took my drivers license test at the Lawrence DMV. It was TERRIFYING.

2. I vote keep the blog going. You are a cool girl and it has been fun to read about all your adventures, not just horsey stuff. I'm SURE you will get some horse time in across the pond.

Carly said...

Don't stop the blog! I love reading your writing whether it's about horses or running or studying for tests. As long as you throw us some of your amazing pictures of the English countryside, who can say no?

Elena said...

I'm pretty much obsessed with Oxford so I'd love to hear about your new adventures! Also planning some trips out there next year so maybe we can meet!!!

Katherine Erickson said...

OMG I took my driver's test in Boston and I thought that was bad - Lawrence is so rough, and the streets and narrow and wickedly confusing (at least to me!). Major props.

Katherine Erickson said...

Yes definitely! Let me know when you're visiting and we can work something out :)

SprinklerBandit said...

Beautiful pictures of Oxford? Um, yes please carry on. ;)

Heidi said...

You are one of my favorite blog friends! I enjoy your writing, so please keep going! Even if you start a new blog, you must post the link here so we can keep following you.

Alighieri said...

I'm incredibly curious about the education process in England, so I've been looking forward to hearing about your studies at Oxford!

redheadlins said...

A chance for the inside scoop on England...write on fellow blogger. I can't wait to hear about the architecture, the rain, the people, the food, I could go on and on.

Chelsea said...

Keep writing, doesnt need to be about horses...

SameSid said...

Please keep writing! As a horsie person and student applying to grad school I would love to hear about your continued adventures!

Megs said...

I vote blog on! It's not everyday that someone gets to do a masters at one of the oldest schools in the world. It would be great to have a window into the experience.

Jess said...

You're a good writer, and remember, at least some of us are in grad school, too, so we can relate to the horses, the horselessness that grad school can cause, and the academic miseries and rewards. Good writing can make most subjects interesting, and I bet if you go looking, you'll find some horses to love there.

Amanda said...

I would read a blog about life in Oxford in a hot minute. If I didn't own my horse and couldn't bear to leave him behind, I was seriously considering grad school in Oxford myself.

Jas said...

Keep this one horsey and revive your Oxford blog from your study abroad! You know I'll read every single one of your blog posts from whatever blog you're using, though...

AmberRose- Girl With a Dream said...

I'd love to hear about your adventures in Oxford!

Katie said...

I studied abroad at Oxford the summer between my sophomore and junior year and miss it very much. Please continue to tell us of your adventures!

Elena said...

Will do for sure! My husband is from the Isle of Wight and everytime we visit his family I drag him to Oxford as well:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...