Wednesday, October 2, 2013

My New Home

I made it!!! Though man, it feels like barely. It must have been a combination of the length of the trip, the bulk of my possessions, and the stress/anticipation I was feeling to get here, but I've never felt more worn out from a trip in my life. After nearly 24 hours of solid transit, however, I finally was able to collapse onto my new bed yesterday evening with all my belongings as an officially accredited and enrolled Oxford student. Wahoo!!!

Today has been a quiet day devoted to setting up my bank account, dropping off my bike to be reassembled, buying little essential items I couldn't bring over like a towel and shampoo, and dropping in at the Stanford overseas program(me) house to say hello and thank you (as the academic head there wrote one of my letters of recommendation that got me into Oxford in the first place!). I must say that dropping off the bike is easily the most daunting task, as hauling it to my room yesterday left me with bruises on my shoulders and hips, but the prospect of having Marcel back to me is making it worth it!

In the meantime, here are some photos of my new home, Pembroke College. I know it's a little early to cast judgements either way, but I must say my first impressions are very good indeed.


 (My desk, which is on the ground floor and looks out over a garden)

(My room right after arrival - it looks a little more organized now!)

(The view out my window - note the lovely ivy)

(The view from the pedestrian bridge that I use to get from my dorm to college)

(My dorm is in a lovely little residential area on the river that I'd never explored when I was in Oxford before. It has a nice quiet vibe which is a welcome change after the Stanford House, which was right on one of the busiest streets in Oxford, so it felt like tossing yourself into a maelstrom every time you stepped out the front door.)

(Pembroke College is one both sides of this road, with the old quads on the left and brand new undergraduate residences on the right. The space-age footbridge connects them. Such a cool 'modern meets ancient' architectural moment!)

 (The view from Pembroke Square looking down towards Pembroke - the main gate is straight ahead on the left where the building turns)

(The Pembroke main gate: so classic Oxford, I can't even.)

(The Main Quad - so gorgeous!)

 (The Chapel Quad - even gorgeouser!)

 (I approve.)

10 comments:

Me said...

So pretty - very excited to read about all your adventures!

jenj said...

So green! So pretty! You're going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!

Austen Gage said...

Oh my! SO GORGEOUS! I'm so glad you're getting settled in. Enjoy it!

Niamh said...

!!!!!!!! So inspiring!

Allison E said...

I must say your surroundings are gorgeous!

T Myers said...

Just stunning. Catch up on Hollyoaks for me :)

L.Williams said...

Glad you made it, absolutely gorgeous!

Carly said...

Oh my goodness, how absolutely British it looks!

Calm, Forward, Straight said...

Wow - words fail me. Keep us posted and enjoy!!!

SprinklerBandit said...

I love it all. So glad you are updating. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...