Friday, November 22, 2013

Resurrection Stone

(Yeah that's a Harry Potter reference. Don't even pretend like you didn't get it.)

So... I've been gone for a little while. I'm so sorry! Like this term in general, the time has slipped away from me and I've been a naughty, naughty blogger. I also admit that I haven't felt like I've had a ton of exciting things to write about: a lot of little incidental things here and there, but in general life has been clicking along just fine and dandy without major incident. I've been exhausted and in a continual cycle of early mornings and dead-man catchup naps, but happy to do it for the wonderful times I've been having trying out rowing and getting a taste of the Oxford sporting life.

I feel like I'm becoming a settled-in resident of the bizarre little fantasy world that is Oxford, judging by the fact that I now accept without question that Sunday night after formal hall is for port and cheese in my college's wood-paneled common room (and that it is a highlight of the week), and that pretty much any grogginess for a mid-morning lecture can be explained by a 5am wakeup for rowing practice and will get nods of understanding from everyone in the room since apparently everyone else was out there at 5am as well.

I did still roll my eyes at the ridiculousness of this email snippet that I received this morning in, I swear to God, absolute dead seriousness in regard to the termly graduate student banquet that I'm attending this evening:

Finally, as any student at Oxford should know, remember that port is passed to the left systematically around the table. Please be considerate of their neighbours when pouring the port -- if everyone is sensible the decanters will circulate again.

Yeah... that can't be real.

But one thing that I still haven't gotten used to is the beauty of this place. Seriously, how can this place not be a movie set? I still find myself shaking my head in wonder on what feels like a daily, even hourly basis. Here's a little bit of what I'm talking about:


 (Pembroke, my lovely little home)

 (Looking through to Pembroke's Chapel Quad - I've gotten to see a fair number of colleges now and, while I'm obviously biased, I think Pembroke may be the cutest of them all)

 (The gates to Blackfriars, one of the religious halls at Oxford (which is sort of like a college... but not quite. Classic Oxford.))

 (The Canterbury Quad at St John's - so regal)

 (The view out a window in Pembroke, with Christ Church's Old Tom Tower visible across the street)

 (Sunset at the Pembroke boat house)

(Sunrise outside my building)

Again, yeah... that can't be real.

I do have a few little stories to recount, and I promise I'll get caught up soon with some recaps over the next few days. But in the meantime, it's banquet time!! More soon :)

5 comments:

Elena said...

I'm pretty sure I have like every single one of those photos on Instagram. I swear I'm not a stalker, I just really love Oxford.
When is your Holiday break? I'll be in Oxford next month but I am guessing you will be stateside.

Katherine Erickson said...

Thanks for the likes! I know it's lame, but I get really excited when people like my instagrams. I'll be either traveling or home from 7 Dec - 6 Jan. When are you visiting?

L.Williams said...

I will never deny my love of Harry Potter and how amazing where you are now is. Also isn't rowing amaze! :)

Austen Gage said...

Oh! The pretty!

Your Oxford posts are seriously a highlight for me. Today I found myself mumbling to myself at the port note, "How very British." :)

Elena said...

I'm glad to hear that, I'll keep on liking! I'll be there on December 23rd I think...possibly the 22nd if we can find somewhere to store luggage for a day. We will be back though

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...