Monday, December 16, 2013

Slow Pony Home

First of all, thanks to everyone who has replied to my last post! I'm not picking winners until this Wednesday, so if you'd like a chance of getting a free print, comment with your email here :)

On my end, I'm finally, finally back home in the US, after what ended up being a marathon's marathon of holiday travel. After a long but uneventful trip home from Bosnia and one night 'home' in bed in Oxford, I turned right around the next morning, back to the airport to come home to Massachusetts via Reykjavik. I got to Gatwick nice and early and settled in to the waiting area for my flight.

And I waited. And waited. And waited. And before I knew it I'd been at the airport for eight hours, my connecting flight in Iceland had already left with me still in the UK, and I was being faced with the prospect of spending an unplanned 24 hour layover in Reykjavik. Whoops.

After a few brief moments of arrrrgghhhhhhh-ing over not being able to get home, I actually started to get pretty excited: I've always wanted to go to Iceland and was now going to be faced with essentially a free one-day vacation thanks to Icelandair, who were paying for my hotel and all my meals (Note: Icelandair's customer service is great!!).

And gosh, it was amazing:














It did feel pretty gross to pack up and head back to the airport for the third day in a row (and third distinct country!), and by the end of my 6-hour flight I was definitely on the edge of snapping (to the people seated next to me, I apologize: I swear I'm a much nicer person than I appeared tonight). But it all felt worth it when I finally got through customs and got to see my mom on the other end. I'm very excited to spend the holidays back on the farm!!

7 comments:

PonyNut said...

welcome home! great photos, as always!

Suzanne said...

Ahhh... Christmas in New England! Welcome home! Zits dish

Suzanne said...

Oops! As pressed enter, the hound hit my keyboard and auto correct added Zits dish (not me)! Great pics was what that should have said!

Tracy said...

So beautiful!! Glad you (finally!) made it home!!

Carly said...

That scenery is insane. I wish it looked like that when it snowed here. Glad you finally made it back!

TBA said...

Amazing is right, those pictures are gorgeous! Glad you finally made it home.

Megan said...

Wow I've always wanted to go to Iceland and these pictures make me want to go even more! Glad you made it back alright!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...