Friday, January 24, 2014

One Year Ago

This week last year started one of the longest horse-related ordeals I've ever gone through, when Dually contracted a rare intestinal infection whose cause we never specifically determined. The 10 days he spent at Tufts were so trying; I cried continuously the whole way every hour-long drive out to see him, and every hour-long drive home, until I literally couldn't cry any more. His prognosis was so bad (they later told us that he had the worst blood work of any horse they'd ever admitted with a similar condition who ended up surviving), and it was so hard not to give up hope. Every day I wondered, as I left, if it was going to be the last time.

Here are some pictures from visiting him at Tufts that I was too afraid and sad to post last year, in case they ended up being the last pictures I ever took of him. I've always said that Dually has the biggest heart of any horse I've ever met (I mean seriously, this is a horse that had a jumping style that would suggest he would top out at 2'6" who went Intermediate and only had one cross country penalty in his whole 11-year career), and watching him struggle to overcome the infection that was threatening to kill him only strengthened that conviction. What a horse, man. What a horse.

 (still bright eyed and on the look out for candies, even in quarantine)


 (Mugging)

 (The sweetest face - Dually was a big favorite among the vet techs (obviously) who were all amazed by his past accomplishments, especially since he came in to Tufts in full winter retiree woolly mammoth mode!)

(Saying goodbye - I was definitely balling when I took this picture, but the Dude, ever the zen master, was at peace with the world)

Of course for us humans, the ordeal didn't end after those 10 days. After getting back to the farm in early February, Dually then had to go on 6 weeks of antibiotic treatment that had to be administered every six hours, around the clock. Additionally, the drugs were so nasty to humans that they had to be administered in full gloves and smock every. single. time. It was like what I imagine having a newborn baby is like -- I hadn't slept more than a few hours continuously for weeks by the end of the regimen and was nearing the end of my sanity. But it was so, so worth to get to do this again:

(Triumphantly leading Big D back to his turnout, 100% recovered)

I'm so, incredibly thankful that the universe decided to give me more time with this amazing horse. So one year later, thank you again.

8 comments:

Karen said...

:)What a horse.

Allison E said...

So happy he recovered. What a year!

Niamh said...

Awwww, the dude! He seems so stoic and so good for you! I'm so glad you shose to share these sacred movements with usc

L.Williams said...

So glad you still have the dude.

Dom said...

Cannot believe it's been a year already. I'm so glad he pulled through. What an amazing guy.

jenj said...

You do what you have to. They give us everything they have, and we have to return it somehow. I'm so glad he pulled through and is happy and healthy today!

Amanda said...

Knowing (and loving) Dually, and knowing what he means to your whole family, I am so thankful he pulled through!

Mikaela Coston said...

My favorite pony!!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...