Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Winter Doldrums

Sigh... it's that time of the year again. The skies are grey, the rain is tossing down, and it feels like good spring weather is more than an eternity away. Work and rowing are both picking up, but it all feels like busy work at the moment, the calm before the storm: hours dutifully grinding away in the library getting the boring foundation for work I'll do later on; or hours spent dutifully on the erg, looking out the window at our still swollen and impassable river and wishing it SOD OFF AND BLOODY STOP RAINING (to use the most British phrasing I can think of).


(The view from the library at 1pm today. So dark. Weeping.)

It's starting to get a little panic-inducing that Torpids, the big winter race for the Oxford boat clubs (that  I am eagerly looking forward to competing in!), is in 35 days and the river is showing no signs of opening. I've only gotten onto the water 6 times since last December, and as one of the most novice members of the boat at the moment, would really love to have more!! I know there are tons of other people in my position right now, but it's not helping my nerves.

(the chart of the river height in Oxford since Christmas - it has to be at 6" above normal or lower to allow boats - we are... not close to that at the moment. at all. In fact, we are getting further away by the day!!)


Add in the fact that I didn't get to race last term, so Torpids will be my first boat race in literally 10 years, and... It's not the best feeling. But hey, what are you going to do? Besides grumbling about global climate change, maybe investing in a better pair of wellies, and manning up and make friends with the erg, there's not much you can do.

I've been trying my hardest with the 'making friends with the erg' part and gosh it's been hard. But I've been definitely seeing some improvement, especially on our weekly harder work out, which is usually three 2k pieces done back to back:

(last week's first effort of three: 8:02 total time for 2k and a 1:51 finish. The first time we did this I was struggling to make 8:10, and my PR is now 7:56, so I'm starting to feel a bit quicker!)

It's all coming together, slowly, but now that the weather has gone foul I have to make sure I don't get sick--again!! All this cold damp illness management makes me nostalgic for California in ways I can't even describe...

Blog readers, how are you fighting off the winter doldrums? I've stocked up on milky tea and cozy sweaters, but am still feeling the weight of the season. Any tips would be much appreciated!


 (Pembroke winter flowers trying to brighten the dreary landscape)

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Carbs. Lots of carbs. Reading. Some crafting. Planning all the riding I'll do if it ever gets out of single digits. Not saying those are good options, but...

Katherine Erickson said...

I'm definitely with you on the carb front. It's sort of terrifying how much they've become my best friends of late.

Elena said...

We are having the opposite issue here in SoCal...barely a drop of rain so far!

L.Williams said...

Thats the kind of weather I love. Send some rain cali's way plz :)

redheadlins said...

mmmm carbs for sure! Seriously though, lots of youtube horse videos of summer time and the pinterest humor page.

FD said...

Light box! Seriously, hand on heart, it saves my life every year.

Happy Pony said...

I live in a very similar climate (west coast of BC). I just try to get outside for a bit every day, regardless of how dark and awful the weather is. I'm going to go for a quick run in the rain this morning - I'll hate it while it's happening, but I feel way better about life once I'm done. Also, I wear obscenely bright colors "so the traffic can see me". Really, I just find it cheers me up when everything else is gray.

T Myers said...

My suggestion for you: Hollyoaks.

heheh...seriously, be thankful you aren't stuck in the polar vortex.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...