Monday, February 17, 2014

Back in Black

So as someone mentioned in the comments of my last post yesterday, it's been two weeks since I last posted, and with some pretty dour news at that. Sorry if I've left anyone in suspense! I'm alive and feeling much better after my brush with a Darwin Award earlier this month, though it has been a slow two weeks getting fully back up to speed. At this point I would consider myself fully recovered, though I do still have some random bouts of slight dizziness when I'm walking around Oxford, especially when I'm in a weird lighting situation. But I'm back reading, writing, and rowing (the three (w)Rs??), which has allowed me to feel like I'm approaching normalcy again.

And in great news, I actually got to row on some actual water yesterday!! It was a miracle!! It had been four long weeks since our last outing, and I was beginning to get really sick and tired of erging and erging and erging while staring dolefully out the window. How people in places like New England train indoors all winter with no prospect of getting out on the water, I have no idea, because I felt like I was at the limits of my sanity after just one month inside.


(What we've been stuck with: rain, rain, and more rain, which has turned Christ Church Meadow into Christ Church Lake all term)

Of course, since it had been so long since we'd last actually been on the water, I was really nervous that it was going to go embarrassingly badly. Amazingly, though, it didn't, and we all agreed that it was actually one of the best water sessions we've had all academic year. We had a guest coach in addition to our regular coach, and it was really refreshing to hear things in a new way and try out some new exercises to get us thinking differently about what we were supposed to be doing. Plus, after a month of erging, we're all significantly stronger now than we were last time we were out, meaning that we were actually able to put some power in the water a few times!

It was a great, reinvigorating day, that made me feel a lot better about the fact that Torpids--the big intramural winter race between all the Oxford colleges--has a good chance of getting cancelled this year due to the historic winter flooding we've had in Oxfordshire since the end of December. These past few weeks when we'd been stuck inside it was hard not to get feeling very grumpy and fatalistic, but it was a nice reminder yesterday of how lovely it is just to be out on the water and rowing, even if things don't work out with the race (though I would really, really like for it to go on!!).


(Can you blame me for getting grumpy when this is the journey to go sit inside and erg??)

And now, since I totally failed at taking pictures at our outing yesterday, here are some snaps from life at Oxford these past few weeks. Don't be fooled by the sunshine visible in many of them; they were taken in the 5 minutes each day that it wasn't raining!

 (The Sheldonian in a passing glimmer of sunlight)

 (More the average view... still pretty though!)

 (Oh Pembroke, you do find a way to be gorgeous)

 (Our sad, flooded boathouse launch)

 (Christ Church, flooded. Still.)

 (At least it's pretty?)

(Pembroke on Valentines Day - a reminder of how truly blessed and spoiled I am, all whinging aside)

6 comments:

Carrot Top said...

So Oxford continues to be magical, even under water :)

Katherine Erickson said...

Haha yes, that's very true. Thank goodness it's so beautiful or else this would have been a depressing winter!

redheadlins said...

I just can't get over how incredible it is there! Here's to it drying up a bit soon:)

Aoife said...

Hope the water recedes soon & the isles can dry out some bit. They've gotten a horrid battering of rain by all accounts :-(

Nicku said...

Glad you're feeling better and back doing what you love! I've experienced that same issue with lighting/dizziness after I clunked my head too. It still bugs me at times, especially under low light and florescent bulbs.

L.Williams said...

Glad you are doing better, and please be careful and care for yourself!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...