Monday, February 3, 2014

Bad Luck. Again.

So... I'm getting pretty sick of being unwell. I had just gotten over my sinus infection and, besides some winter blues, was actually starting to feel like a human again, when...



Oh why yes, that would be me. In a head board. With a busted nose. On Saturday night I decided to spend a night out on the town with some friends, and at some point we think that I must have fallen down some stairs while trying to find the bathroom and hit my head against a wall (I say 'we think' because I have absolutely no memory of this happening). Then, instead of going home, I decided not to tell anyone that this had happened and instead go on and continue clubbing for another 3 or 4 hours, with the end result that I woke up on Sunday morning with absolutely no memory of the entire afternoon/evening/night. It was like The Hangover in real life, only with fewer tigers and more neck and back pain.

I ended up taking the precautionary measure to go into the hospital to get a scan, just in case, though by the time I decided to go it was Sunday evening so if I was going to die I probably would have already done so. Mostly I was worried because my neck was really hurting me and, because of my previous injuries to my neck, I am trying to be a grown up and be more cautious (not my natural strongpoint, given my hatred of going to the doctor!).

Fortunately all my scans came back clean, and so besides a run of the mill concussion and some whiplash, I'm going to be just fine. I was so thankful to my friend Millie who came with me to the hospital and kept me company for 5 hours there. I'm really, really bummed to be injured again, and in such stupid circumstances, but what are you going to do. It's another week off from rowing, and another week trying to focus on getting better (and hopefully not fail out of school at the same time??).

I'm getting sick of this! But I'm also feeling very lucky that my injuries ended up being as minor as they were, given the extreme degree personal stupidity involved. It could have been a lot worse, and I'm really lucky to have such great friends. Now to get feeling better again!

8 comments:

Niamh said...

You and I are like to peas in a pod. When I smashed my forehead a few weeks ago due to a bad combination of being out with friends and then taking a sleeping pill for the first time when I got home I tried to get my doctor neighbor to stitch me up without lidocaine in my Ambien haze. Nothing a little super glue couldn't fix.

L.Williams said...

:( I'm really glad you are okay (concussions and whiplash are no fun.)

Aoife said...

Ouch - Get well soon!

Carrot Top said...

Ouch indeed! You poor thing

Frizzle said...

Oh goodness! Well, at least you are cultivating some good "when I was at grad school abroad" stories to tell in your golden years! If there aren't a few "I have no idea what I did last night"s, you're doing it wrong! ;-) Get better, and next time remember the buddy system is your friend. Literally.

T Myers said...

damn girl...that picture lol

Glad you are ok. I know that drunk...been there before. Be safe, rest up. xx

Dom said...

Ouch! Glad you are ok. How scary :(

Newsed6 said...

It's been 13 days since your last post so I hope you are feeling better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...