Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Springtime Rewind: Easter Shenanigans and City Bumps

So when I last left off, Hilary Term had just finished and I was looking ahead to a nice long East break before the start of the last term of the year. As I mentioned two posts ago, a large portion of this time ended up being consumed in 'blue screen of death' mode, but I did manage to squeeze in a few fun activities as well.

First, my brother and his wife came to visit, which was a lovely treat. They took to pub life in England with gusto, and finished their weekend with the (maybe dubious?) honor of having visited 12 pubs in 3 days. Well played, D&G. I really loved seeing them and it was great to have a little taste of home when I wasn't feeling so great.


(D&G digging into a pub lunch at The Punter)

Then, my friend Millie invited me up to Manchester to spend Easter with her family. Again, it was a really fun chance to get out of Oxford, and I felt truly loved to be included into her family for Easter festivities. I got to experience a real Anglican Easter, complete with a (very long!) Easter service and then a traditional British Easter roast (complete with lamb, though as a vegetarian that was more for looking than tasting). I was so overwhelmed by Millie's family's kindness and hospitality, and it definitely made me feel a bit better about missing Easter at home, which is normally one of my favorite holidays to spend with my family.


(Dr. O'Driscoll carves the Easter lamb)

Then finally, I got to do a little racing! Every year the Oxford city clubs (aka the ones that aren't associated with specific colleges) put on a bumps-style race similar to the ones the colleges do for Torpids and Summer Eights, though with 4+ boats instead of 8+s. I joined the Oxford Academicals, one of the city clubs, at the beginning of the vacation, and had a great time racing with them. We had a very successful day, winning 3 of our 4 races and coming soooo close to 'winning blades' (which would have happened if we'd won all 4 times). It was a long and exhausting experience, but a really fun start to the spring season of rowing, which would prove to be a doozy.







3 comments:

Austen Gage said...

Pub Life for Life! :) That's probably how I'd spend my days, too.

I love the rowing shots, you look totally at home out there.

SprinklerBandit said...

The people are so white there. ;-)

Newsed6 said...

Still out here reading your blog. Glad you are back!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...