Wednesday, August 3, 2016

There Are No Unhappy Endings...

...Because nothing ever ends.

Hi, folks. It's been a long, long time. I'm so sorry I went dark on you—it's a lame cliché, but basically life got in the way. Since I last wrote here (way back in summer 2014!), I:


  • Completed my masters in Modern British and European History, with a dissertation on the role of UNESCO in West German educational reform in the 1950s. It was a steep learning experience and my dissertation left a bit to be desired, but I survived it hungry and ready for more.
  • Started a PhD at Oxford in History: after my less-than-perfect masters, I took some time to reassess my academic interests and decided to drastically change topics to something that suited me better. Now I'm studying the reception of the Second Vatican Council in the Ugandan Catholic Church in the 1960s and 70s. It's a crazy niche topic, but I've loved every second of it so far!
  • Rowed for my university at lightweight and openweight level, culminating in racing in the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race in the women's reserve crew this year in front of 250,000 spectators on the Thames in London. My crew unfortunately lost, but it was an experience I'm incredibly thankful to have taken part in and that I'll cherish forever. 
  • Fell in love with single sculling, ending this season with a win at Henley Women's Regatta with my father there to watch. I haven't had my dad at a competition with me in a long time and it was such a special day; it reminded me of the good old days of going to horse shows together. I know that it will go down as one of my happiest sporting memories of my entire life. 

It's been a crazy three years in the UK, often testing, but even more often rewarding and exciting. I still miss home, and horses, and people and things that I left behind, and I still sometimes feel like a horrible outsider here. But I also have wonderful friends and wouldn't trade the experiences I've been fortunate enough to have for anything. 

In the next year, I've got a lot of exciting things planned. It's my fieldwork research year for my PhD, which means lots of travel! I'm planning trips to Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Kenya, and Uganda. I'm also travelling to Iran with my mother and Chile and Argentina with my entire family on holiday. If all goes well, I should visit five continents!

If you'd like to follow along with my adventures, I've started a newsletter that will go out once monthly. I've decided on this new format over the blog, as I like the immediacy of email and I think it will be easier to communicate directly. I've loved this blog so much, and have been so thankful for everyone who has read and commented, but I think this will be my last post. 

If you want to be part of the newsletter, click here to add your email: 


I hope to see you on the other side. In the meantime: so long, and thanks for all the fish. 

xoxx

kme

8 comments:

L.Williams said...

It's so good to hear/read from you! I miss your constant blogging and will definitely keep up with your newsletter. You've always inspired me and I'm glad to see you achieving so much and being happy most of all!

-L. Williams

Scopey said...

So happy to see you’re doing well.

Austen Gage said...

I'm definitely adding my email to that newsletter list. Not just because I miss your updates (but loooove your Instagram), but also because your PhD thesis sounds fascinating and I want more. :)

Good luck, and what a great job you've already done!

Checkmark115 said...

I was SO jazzed to see your post on my feed today!!

So you have an accent yet? haha! I can't imagine how gorgeous it is over there. Rowing must be incredible. Congrats on the masters and moving to a PhD! Happy you're doing well

T said...

I was so excited to see this update. Congrats on your many accomplishments - You're an inspiration!

Kate said...

Wow, it sounds like you've had an exciting time since you last blogged! I'm still terribly jealous that you're studying at Oxford; what an incredible experience. Although I'm sure it's not all champagne and roses, but I guess you need the lows to appreciate the highs :)

Good luck with the rest of your PhD, and enjoy all that travelling!

Aoife said...

Thanks for the fab update, what a fun time you've been having in the UK 😆
I love following your insta updates & will sign up for the newsletter to keep track of your amazing adventures from here on out.
If your adventures bring you near Lux in the coming years please don't be shy about stopping in for a visit!
Congrats on the rowing win & Masters and wishing you the very best of luck with the PhD - what an interesting topic!

Clover Ledge Farm said...

Love seeing your update! I miss following your equine adventures and saw a little mare at an event the other day that made me think of your Kiki (and was like wow, that's a crazy random blogger memory!). Best of luck as you move forward in your journey!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...